Possible Thesis Topics with Oliver Schulte (August 2018)I am researching machine learning for structured data, SQL, XML, network data, event logs, sports data.
Application AreasStructured machine learning has many exciting application areas. I am especially interested in the following.
- Statistical Modelling of Sports Data. E.g. player ranking, drafting decisions, match outcome prediction.
- Detecting Relationships in Computer Vision.
- Extracting Relationships from Text and Images.
- Anomaly Detection, Data Cleaning.
- Business Process Mining (see the BPM challenge ).
- challenge competitions for structured data like the Yelp Dataset Challenge .
Relational Learning.An important type of structured data are relational and network data. Topics include:
- Learning Bayesian networks. We use these to model the joint distribution of object attributes and links, and for feature generation.
- Anomaly Detection and Exception Mining.
Scaling to hundreds of features (attributes and relationship types) is one of the research topics I would like to work on. This combines systems tools (e.g. Spark, Hadoop) with machine learning. Another important topic is applying our methods to improve node embeddings , a state-of-the-art approach that combines deep learning with networks.