Jiangchuan Liu is currently a Full Professor (with University Professorship) in the School of Computing Science at Simon Fraser University, British Columbia, Canada. He is a Fellow of The Canadian Academy of Engineering, an IEEE Fellow, and an NSERC E.W.R. Steacie Memorial Fellow. He is also an EMC-Endowed Visiting Chair Professor of Tsinghua University, Beijing, China (2013-2016), an Adjunct Professor of Tsinghua Shenzhen Graduate School (2016-2017), and a Distinguished Guest Professor of Tsinghua Shenzhen International Graduate School (2022-2024). He was a Microsoft Research Fellow and worked at Microsoft Research Asia (MSRA) in the summers of 2000, 2001, 2002, 2007, and 2011.
He received BEng (Cum Laude) from Tsinghua University in 1999, and PhD from The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in 2003 (through HKUST's MED program with recommendation from Education Ministry of China and scholarship from Hong Kong Jockey Club; recipient of 2004 Hong Kong Young Scientist Award for the PhD work). From 2003 to 2004, he was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
Networking and multimedia systems and applications; in particular, multimedia content processing and communications, Internet architecture and protocols, wireless mobile networking, satellite networking, cloud and edge computing, online gaming and social networking, Internet of Things/RFID/backscatter, and energy-efficient computing and communication
- Fellow of Canadian Academy of Engineering (CAE 2019)
- Fellow of IEEE (2017; for contributions to multimedia communications and content distribution over the Internet)
- University Professorship (the highest ranked professorship within SFU), 2015-2020
- NSERC E.W.R. Steacie Memorial Fellowship, 2015 (NSERC's most prestigious award to young researchers in Canadian universities; 6 recipients per year from all science and engineering fields nationwide; the 12th recipient from computer science since year 1965)
- Editor/Associate Editor, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering，IEEE Transactions on Big Data, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, IEEE Communications Tutorial and Surveys, IEEE Internet of Things Journal
- TPC Co-Chair, IEEE Satellite 2022
TPC Co-Chair, IEEE INFOCOM 2021, Vancouver, Canada
Steering Committee Member, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 2017-2019
Steering Committee Chair, IEEE/ACM IWQoS, 2015-2017
- M. Zhang, F. Wang, and J. Liu, CASVA: Configuration-Adaptive Streaming for Live Video Analytics, IEEE INOFOCM'2022.
- L. Cui , X. Su, Y. Zhou, and J. Liu, Optimal Rate Adaption in Federated Learning with Compressed Communication, IEEE INOFOCM'2022.
- L. Zhang, Y. Zhang, X. Wu, F. Wang, L. Cui, Z. Wang, and J. Liu, Batch Adaptative Streaming for Video Analytics, IEEE INOFOCM'2022.
- J. Zhao, W. Gong, and J. Liu, Microphone Array Backscatter: An Application-Driven Design for Lightweight Spatial Sound Recording over the Air, ACM MobiCom'2021.
- Y. Huang, L. Chu, Z. Zhou, L. Wang, J. Liu, J. Pei, and Y. Zhang, Personalized Cross-Silo Federated Learning on Non-IID Data, AAAI'2021.
- L. Shen, Y. Chen, and J. Liu, Energy-Efficient Interactive 360 Video Streaming with Real-Time Gaze Tracking on Mobile Devices, IEEE MASS'2021 (Best Paper Award).
- L. Zhang, Y. Suo, X. Wu, F. Wang, Y. Chen, L. Cui, J. Liu, and Z. Ming, TBRA: Tiling and Bitrate Adaptation for Mobile 360-Degree Video Streaming, ACM Multimedia'2021.
- J. Zhang, J. Deng, M. Wang, Y. Cui, W. T. Ooi, J. Liu, X. Zhang, K. Zheng, and Y. Li, The ACM Multimedia 2021 Meet Deadline Requirements Grand Challenge, ACM Multimedia'2021.
- M. Zhang, F. Wang, Y. Zhu, J. Liu, and Z. Wang, Towards Cloud-Edge Collaborative Online Video Analytics with Fine-Grained Serverless Pipelines, ACM MMSys'2021.
- F. Wang, J. Liu, Z. Wang, L. Sun, Intelligent Video Caching at Network Edge: A Multi-Agent Deep Reinforcement Learning Approach, IEEE INFOCOM'2020.
- C. Zhang, F. Wang, J. Liu, R. Shea, and L. Sun, Look Ahead at the First-mile in Livecast with Crowdsourced Highlight Prediction, IEEE INOFOCM'2020.
- R.-X. Zhang, M. Ma, T. Huang, H. Li, J. Liu, and L. Sun, Leveraging QoE Heterogeneity for Large-Scale Livecast Scheduling, ACM Multimedia'2020.
- J. Zhao, W. Gong, and J. Liu, Towards Scalable Backscatter Sensor Mesh with Decodable Relay and Distributed Excitation, ACM MobiSys'2020.
- R.-X. Zhang, M. Ma, T. Huang, H. Pang, W. Wu, X. Yao, J. Liu, and L. Sun, Livesmart: A QoS-Guaranteed Cost-Minimum Framework of Viewer Scheduling for Crowdsourced Live Streaming, ACM Multimedia'2019.
- H. Pang, C. Zhang, F. Wang, J. Liu, and L. Sun, Towards Low Latency Multi-viewpoint 360 Interactive Video: A Multimodal Deep Reinforcement Learning Approach, IEEE INFOCOM'2019.
- F. Wang, C. Zhang, F. Wang, J. Liu, Y. Zhu, H. Pang, L. Sun, Intelligent Edge-Assisted Crowdcast with Deep Reinforcement Learning for Personalized QoE, IEEE INFOCOM'2019.
Some Textbooks and Literature Reviews
- Z. Li, M. Drew, and J. Liu, Fundamentals of Multimedia, 3nd Edition, Textbook (824 pages), Springer Texts in Computer Science Series, 2021.
- B. Li, Z. Wang, J. Liu, and W. Zhu, Two Decades of Internet Video Streaming: A Retrospective View, ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications, Special Issue on 20th Anniversary of ACM SIGMM, 2013.
- J. Liu, S. G. Rao, B. Li, and H. Zhang, Opportunities and Challenges of Peer-to-Peer Internet Video Broadcast, Proceedings of the IEEE, Special Issue on Recent Advances in Distributed Multimedia Communications, Vol. 96, No. 1, January 2008.
Some Past Graduates and Postdocs in Academia
- Fangxin Wang (2020) - currently Assistant Professor at The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen
- Yifei Zhu (2020) - currently Assistant Professor at Shanghai Jiatong University, China
- Xiulong Liu (2019) - currently Professor at Tianjin University, China
- Lei Zhang (2019) - currently Assistant Professor at Shenzhen University, China
- Wei Gong (2018) - currently Professor at University of Science and Technology, China
- Jihong Yu (2018) - currently Professor at Beijing Institute of Technology, China
- Ryan Shea (2016) - currently Assistant Professor at Simon Fraser University, Canada
- Xiaoqiang Ma (2015) - currently Assistant Professor at Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China
- Haiyang Wang (2013) - currently Associate Professor at University of Minnesota at Duluth, USA
- Feng Wang (2012) - currently Associate Professor at University of Mississippi, USA
- Yanfang Zhou (2009) - currently Associate Professor at Fudan University, China
- Edith C.-H. Ngai (2007) - currently Associate Professor at Uppsala University, Sweden/University of Hong Kong
- Dan Wang (2007) - currently Associate Professor at Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
- Yuanzhu Peter Chen (2005) - currently Professor at Queen's University, Canada
To PhD, MSc, and Postdoc Applicants
I always have some openings. Please send me your CV and transcript. Also note that SFU requires Toefl/IELTS score for MSc and PhD admission only. GRE is not necessary.