Next: Boyce-Codd Normal Form
Up: Desirable Properties of Decomposition
Previous: Dependency Preservation
Our decomposition does not suffer from the repetition of information problem.
- Branch and loan data are separated into distinct relations.
- Thus we do not have to repeat branch data for each loan.
- If a single loan is made to several customers, we do not have
to repeat the loan amount for each customer.
- This lack of redundancy is obviously desirable.
- We will see how this may be achieved through the use of
Thu Jun 18 12:56:34 PDT 1998