Distributed Systems 2012-1
Class page on CMPT's Courses system. We will use this for announcements and project management.
- Tuesdays 14:30 - 16:10 @ AQ3005
- Thursdays 14:30 - 15:20 @ BLU10011
- Richard Vaughan: Tuesdays 11:30 - 12:30 or by appointment
- Mani Monajjemi (TA): CSIL support hours to be discussed.
An introduction to the theory and practice of distributed systems,
with an emphasis on application development and middleware, rather
than Operating Systems. Fundamentals of distributed synchronization, clocks,
atomic actions, architectures, performance and software engineering
will be covered. Students will develop a large-scale distributed
system in teams.
Assignments and Grading
By multi-stage team project, no final exam.
Instructions will appear here on 10 Junuary.
The following textbook is useful, but not essential.
- Distributed Systems Concepts and Design, G.
Coulouris, J. Dollimore, T. Kindberg, Addison-Wesley Longman, 3rd Edition
2001 or 4th Edition 2005.
- The class reading list of research papers.
CMPT 300 and 371, A minimum grade of C- is required in all prerequisite