!- Converted with LaTeX2HTML 0.6.4 (Tues Aug 30 1994) by Nikos Drakos (firstname.lastname@example.org), CBLU, University of Leeds ->
Data Manipulation Language (DML)
Next: Database Manager
Previous: Data Definition Language
Data Manipulation is:
- retrieval of information from the database
- insertion of new information into the database
- deletion of information in the database
- modification of information in the database
A DML is a language which enables users to access and manipulate data.
The goal is to provide efficient human interaction with the system.
There are two types of DML:
- procedural: the user specifies what data is needed
and how to get it
- nonprocedural: the user only specifies what data is needed
- Easier for user
- May not generate code as efficient as that produced by procedural
A query language is a portion of a DML involving information retrieval
The terms DML and query language are often used synonymously.
Page created and maintained by Osmar R. Zaï ane
Sun Sep 10 16:58:49 PDT 1995